Artists Round the SoundFrom Look Out TowerBay SunsetCharles W. Stockey Centre for the Performing ArtsStockey from the BayWeddingBOB Banner

Charles W. Stockey

Charles W. Stockey
Charles Wilson Stockey
July 4th, 1917 - September 17th, 2004

Charles Wilson Stockey was born July 4th, 1917 in Toronto, Ontario, the youngest of four children to Albert Edward Stockey (born in Birmingham, England) and Francis Stockey (nee Streeter, born in Wingham, Ontario).

His parents were early settlers of the Toronto area that later became Moore Park. Charles, as a boy, enjoyed the open fields, ravines and rivers of that undeveloped area and remained a resident of Moore Park for 50 years. During that period he was employed in various positions, finally retiring from the Toronto Star, then located on King Street, West, Toronto.

He was deeply and successfully involved in all forms of motor sport and held a life membership in the British Empire Motor Club. He was instrumental in the locating and developing of Canada's famous International Raceway - Mosport Park.

Always a busy person, he also found time to enjoy the arts and fine music. As a youth, Charles had training and sang soprano with the choir of Toronto's oldest Anglican Church, The Church of the Holy Trinity. He was a long time lead tenor with the Victoria Male Voice Choir. Other interests were photography, wildlife in all forms and extensive travels to various "off the beaten track" remote areas.

As a boy he was privileged to be introduced by a surrogate uncle to Ontario's north country and was intrigued with the countless lakes and wilderness. At age 15 years he and his trusty 1927 "Dodge Brothers" car commenced to investigate places to fish, hunt, camp and enjoy the wonders of Ontario's north country. North of Bala, passing through the railway town of Mactier, the road to Parry Sound was heavy going, ending near Nobel. Access to Sudbury was by highway 11 via North Bay. The dam on the river at Parry Sound and near-by lakes were always productive for fishing with endless space to pitch one's camp. For the more affluent, Parry Sound, served by the rail-way, provided luxury Hotel accommodation.

In later life Charles chose to locate and build his permanent residence on Lake Joseph. He became interested in and involved with the early days of the Festival of the Sound and was impressed with the enthusiastic, never tiring Anton Kuerti. Under Anton's direction, Charles was charged with introducing the music of the Festival to the Muskoka Lakes area, locating suitable venues, moving Anton's trusty piano, promoting ticket sales, etc. He continued to serve on the Festival's Associate Board under the leadership of James Campbell, Artistic Director. All concerts, from day one, proved a great success.

The Charles W. Stockey Centre is proud to be a permanent part of Mr. Stockey's legacy.